The Eagle, united, will never be defeated!
So members of Team Eagle have reunited in Bahia Drake, camping each night on the beach, which is public land and free up to 100 meters. Score! There´s even a little creek providing us with fresh mountain water that we can drink (after filtering). The first couple of mornings, Juicy and I awoke and cracked open a fresh coconut for breakfast. Mmm. Actually, my first attempt at this left me with two cuts, a blister, and a broken knife. But Juicy prevailed over the coconut. The Pacific is quite warm and very calm, the waves are small, and no one around here does much other than sportfishing. Drake is a heavily touristy area, so the supply of free things to do is limited largely to the beach, ocean, and hiking in the nearby mountains. We´ve all managed to get sunburnt, despite our efforts to wear a lot of sunscreen. Stan is kicking off a four-day hike around the penninsula and will meet the rest of us in Puerto Jimenez, on the other side at the end of the trek. The rest of us will bus part of the way and then do a day hike to PJ, before heading back to San Jose, with a quick stop to hike up the tallest mountain in Costa Rica (4,000 meters, whatever that is). We love to read comments, so let us know how you all are doing. Stan, Mike, and I passed the six-week mark on Monday, Kate is at five weeks, and Justina is at over 4 weeks of traveling. It´s getting harder to remember when we´ve done what now.


4 Comments:
Glad to hear the coconut didn't get away. I think when we visited Puerto Rico we saw someone attack and kill one neatly with a single blow of his trusty machette, while holding it in his other hand--(I'd probably set it down first). Dad
So tonight at work in the Admission Office, we were on break and one of the callers said that he was planning a spring break road trip to New Mexico (I go to college in Tacoma, WA for those that don't know). He mentioned that he did not want to spend that much money on food and lodging. So, I excitedly chimed in that my brother and his friends have been on a road trip adventure and after spending two or three weeks in the states only paid $5 for food. I promptly revealved they got the rest from dumpster diving. While I found the $1 per person ratio an impressive stat, most people seemed to groan and find the "dumpster diving" idea disgusting. Then my friend said they just wanted to buy pasta instead of going through the drive-through to save money.
I thought you might enjoy the story. Everybody has a unique approach I suppose. I tried to tell them you got food from grocery stores and restaurants that was okay, but I'm not sure in sunk in.
I agree with robin, I hate you guys. I'm so f-ing jealous. Just kidding, I don't really hate you, but I do wish I could be in your shoes instead of in post-blizzard brooklyn.
4 000 meters = 13 123.3596 feet
Also: I am just grateful that you all are having such interesting and non-lethal experiences.
With much love and respect,
smd
Post a Comment
<< Home